The Women’s Show
|Mon 6/1/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 7/6/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Tues 7/7/20||12:00 pm||2:00 pm|
|Mon 6/8/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 6/15/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 7/13/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 7/20/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 6/22/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 7/27/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
|Mon 6/29/20||8:00 pm||10:00 pm|
Tagged as: Eclectic/Soundtracks, Rock/Vintage Rock/Variety
The KVMR Women’s Collective is a group of broadcasters dedicated to bringing women’s voices and women’s experiences to the airwaves. The Collective also puts together a full day of programming every year for International Women’s Day on March 8th. Additionally, we serve as a support system and springboard for female broadcasters just out of the training program. New broadcasters can get immediate experience designing their own shows – a rarity in the very full schedule on KVMR.
Women’s Show – April Miranda – 6/29/20
Women’s Show – Catherine Allen – 7/6/20
Women’s Show Schedule:
- 6/15 – Charlotte Peterson
- 6/22 – Miriam Limov
- 6/29 – April Miranda
- 7/6 – Catherine Allen
- 7/13 – Diane McIntire
- 7/20 – Katherine Porebski
- 7/27 – April Miranda
Women’s Show content includes music, interviews, political opinion pieces, public affairs programming, and spoken word; shows are sometimes, but not always, thematic. The Collective meets bi-monthly to schedule shows, plan new projects, refine and learn new broadcasting skills, and have a good time.
Current members of the Women’s Collective include Peggy Bean and Kristina Somma of Sacramento, and Nevada County residents Catherine Allen, Joan Buffington, Molly Fisk, Arly Helm, Carol Osgood, Elisa Parker, Susan Schreiber, Jodi Selene, Kathryn Smith, Heidi Starr, and Jean Varda. Many of these broadcasters host or substitute on other KVMR shows as well.
A Brief History/Herstory:
- The Collective was started in the 1980s by a group of women broadcasters who had come to a Program Committee meeting to apply for the same show. They decided to propose that they do the show together, in rotation. Joan Buffington is the only one of those original women still part of the collective.
- In 2001 and 2002, the Collective produced “Her Story,” two series of 20 different 4-minute stories about individual women. The series was played daily on KMVR during Women’s History Month and has been distributed and played on community radio stations nationally. The 2001 series won a Special Merit award for News/Public Affairs programming from the NFCB (National Federation of Community Broadcasters) for Joan Buffington, producer, and Dawn Fischer, engineer/editor.
- The Collective also won a $10,000 grant in 2000 from the Women’s Foundation of San Francisco to train women in news production.
To join the Collective, find out the meeting schedule, make requests, or contact individual members, you can reach us at womenscollective @ kvmr.org. We’d love to hear from you.