Today on KVMR we’ll be celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. with a variety of unique programs surely provide a lil’ peace of mind & leave you feeling inspired. Check out the full schedule below. –
KVMR MLK 2021 Schedule
– 4am-7am: Early Morning with David James
– 7am-10am: Monday Morning Show with Steve Baker
- From inspiring King Day music to insightful interviews, host Steve Baker will get your holiday morning started on the right path.
– 10am-12pm: Música Latina, Etcétera with Betsy Lombard
– 12pm-1pm: King Stories: Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
- King Stories is a one hour documentary of captivating stories told by close friends and associates of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Host Julian Bond, along with insiders—Ralph Abernathy, David Garrow, Dick Gregory, Mark Lane and Larry Williams—share rarely documented stories about the personal and private sides of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
– 1pm-2pm: All Mixed Up with Martin Luther King Jr.
- Join Martin Luther King Jr on “A Shortcut Back to Washington 1963” with the voices, sounds and music that was popular as activists marched on Washington, including Mahalia jackson, “Little” Stevie Wonder, the Rooftop Singers, JFK, Walter Cronkite, the Four Seasons, Peter, Paul & Mary , Pete Seeger and 4th Grade Students from the Hudson Valley, “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” by Israel Kamakawiwo’ole blended with Eleanor Roosevelt, Ingrid Michaelson featuring students from Newtown, John Lennon and the Liverpool Philharmonic Youth Choir, John & Yoko (Africa Mix) [feat. Rokia Traore], Moodswings and much more.
– 2pm-4pm: Pet Sounds with Mark Leviton
- What might Martin Luther King, Jr. have heard on the radio if he’d been listening on his final birthday celebration in 1968? His murder three months later had a profound effect on the nation, including the content of popular music. Join host Mark Leviton for a tribute to the sounds of Motown, Stax, Atlantic and much more.
– 4pm-6pm: Monday Music Magazine with Greg Jewett
– 6pm-7pm: KVMR Presents: Bethel AME Choir Highlights
- Celebrating over 30 years of having the beloved Bethel AME Church Choir and its longtime director Zenobia Brown make their yearly trek to Nevada City for KVMR 89.5 FM’s annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Day Gospel Concert. KVMR’s Paul Emery has compiled various recordings of our annual gospel concert for one hour-long special fo your ears and heart’s delight.
– 7pm-8pm: Democracy Now King Day Special
– 8pm-10pm: Women’s Show with Catherine Allen
- Catherine Allen presents a two-hour special taking a look at the prolific work of musician Nina Simone.