KVMR 2020 Visionaries Membership Drive
Written by Steve Baker on February 23, 2020
It all starts this Sunday as the KVMR 2020 Visionaries Membership Drive takes off this Sunday and runs through Leap Day, Saturday, February 29. Become a new member, renew your expired membership, or make an additional gift today! Donate by calling 530-265-9555 or donate here.
Membership Drive Specials:
- Monday Morning Show (7am-10am): Monday’s Morning Show marks the beginning of the fifth anniversary celebration of KVMR’s new building and studios, plus host Steve Baker will salute the Nevada City Live! performance series with year-long passes.
- Fat Music Radio: U. Utah Phillips Special (12pm-2pm): Felton Pruitt’s Fat Music Show does a noon-2 p.m. special on U. Utah Phillips, his strong connection to KVMR and also featuring portions of his last local show.
- Pet Sounds (2pm-4pm): Mark Leviton presents “It’s A Woman’s World” on his weekly “Pet Sounds” show 2-4 p.m Monday, featuring all females, both the famous and obscure, from the ’60s and ’70s.
- World Carnivale (10am-12pm): Fat Tuesday kicks off with a world music carnival celebrating Mardi Gras with co-hosts Don Lipari (Earth Music) and Kathleen Porebski (Flying Colors) combining forces in the 10 a.m. to noon slot where they alternate as hosts.
- Sassy Soulful Sistas Second-Line Steppin’ (12pm-2pm): Warren D and friends presents the “Sassy Soulful Sistas Second-Line Steppin’”. Almost all recorded material is of African-American woman with Mardi Gras and New Orleans ties.
- Under The Covers with Poly & Mollie (12pm-2pm): featuring Joyce Miller and KVMR Membership Coordinator Adriana Kelly. “You’ll hear eclectic cover versions of songs from Prince to the Dead Kennedys, Motown, Beatles and even more unusual covers,” Kelly noted. “We’ll include everything from The Meters doing ‘Come Together’ to Giant Sand’s version of ‘Jumpin’ Jack Flash’”
- Vintage Music (2pm-4pm): Hosts Michael Young and John Hensley explain “How The Beatles Killed Vintage Music”. “We’ll be playing all those great Beatle covers of pop hits, rock n roll and Motown as they slowly went from straight ahead covers to their own versions and their new kinds of tunes,” explained Young. “It wasn’t until Hard Days Night that they had an album without covers.”
- Wednesday Music Magazine 25th Anniversary (4pm-6:30pm): Hosts Connie Coale and Jenny Michael mark their 25th anniversary as alternate weekly hosts on the Wednesday Music Magazine. They were also the first two voices heard over the air as KVMR began broadcasting from its new building 5 years ago.
- Fats Domino George Harrison And Brian Jones Birthday Party (12pm-2pm): Jeff Wright holds a birthday party for Fats Domino, George Harrison and Brian Jones (The Rolling Stones), all born this week, featuring special guest, Johnny Cash!
- Harmony Ridge: North Of The Border (2pm-4pm): Host Brian Terhorst presents a special edition of Harmony Ridge, featuring singer-songwriters who got their start in the Great White North – Canada.
- Thursday Music Magazine (4pm-6:30pm): Guest Host Step D. Luna (AKA: Capt. Save-A-Show) spreading his love for anything that moves & grooves.
- Jethro Tull: 50 Years Of Living In The Past (8pm-10pm): Hosts Paul Berger and Miriam Limov will profile the British Rock group in a two-hour special.
- Higher Frequency (12pm-2pm):A special two-hour edition of “Higher Frequency”, the cannabis issues program, with the wit of Martin Webb joining Maria Herrera, Sarah Grow and engineer Claudio Mendonca for a mix of interviews, news and humor in the newly legalized business.
- The New Bleat (2pm-4pm): In honor of Black History Month, host Sean Dooley will be showcasing various exemplary African American musicians of the modern age. Musical selections including: Moses Sumney, Adia Victoria, Kamasi Washington, Sampa The Great, Esperanza Spalding, Kaytranada & many more.
- Pirate Rockin-N-Stompin: The Right Stuff (1pm-4pm): Thomas Greener and Kim Rogers are combining their “Ragged But Right” and “Good Stuff” shows into “Pirate Rockin-N-Stompin’: The Right Stuff”, including offering a commemorative t-shirt in honor of Wesley and his “Rockin’-N-Stompin'” program.
- Diamonds & Rust (6pm-8pm): Host Laura Miller will hold a drawing for those listeners who call her show for an autographed Kate Wolf album, a vinyl copy of Safe At Anchor.
- Dead Air (8pm-12am): Guest Hosts Chris Towne and Joel Brungardt will host a 4-hour version of “Dead Air”, one of the longest running Grateful Dead shows in the nation, where they will be honoring not one , but two, Grateful Dead classic albums turning 50 this year, those being “Workingman’s Dead” and “American Beauty”, both released in 1970.