Welcome to Traveller, a talk and music show rotating Fridays on KVMR. My guest June 28 was long-time Nevada City resident Jim Lewis, RN, who leads groups of people to Cuba. Since 1999, he's been visiting Cuba both professionally and for pleasure. ...Think traveling to Cuba is filled with red tape and difficulty associated with the embargo and a communist government? Think again, according to Jim. "You could decide to visit Cuba today, jump on a commercial airplane, and arrive in Havana manana (tomorrow) to a very welcoming country." "All that's required is a simple form filled out for the airlines declaring that your visit is 'to provide support to the Cuban people'."
Jim will give a talk open-to-the-public at the Madelyn Helling Library on Tuesday, July 23 at 5:30pm.
Please listen to the show which aired June 28, 2019 at Noon. It's available on the KVMR archive for 2 weeks after broadcast.
Salsa anyone? Grammy award-winning artist Christian Pepin y Su Orquesta Bembe performs Saturday, August 10 at the Berkeley Salsa Festival, 9:30am to 3:30pm at Civic Center Park. The event features a farmer’s market, salsa dancing, cooking demos, salsa tasting, mojitos and “no-jitos”, organic wine, a photo booth with haute trash clothing from Nevada City and more. Information: ecologycenter.org.
Cuba FAST FACTS:
- Cuba is the largest and most populated of the Caribbean islands with more than 4000 islands and cays (shallow islands) and 11.48 million inhabitants.
- Havana, the most populated city and capital, is the center of culture, with an historic district, museums, music venues, architecture and accommodations.
- Cuba is visited by international tourists—mostly Canadians—but compared to familiar destinations like Yosemite (6 million) and San Francisco (26.4 million), Cuba is lightly travelled (3.2 million) (2016 statistics)
- From the air, the island of Cuba resembles a crocodile and is therefore often referred to as “El Cocodrilo”.
- Christopher Columbus landed in Cuba in 1492, claiming it for Spain.
- Baseball and boxing dominate sports, white dominoes is an extremely popular game.